Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: *READ ME FIRST*PC tech support FAQ
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:36 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I've compiled a pretty nice FAQ. If you see something you want included here, or find an error, PM me. If you can't find something, try doing a search.

---------------

Q: I get an error saying that the computer is unable to find et.exe, what does this mean?
A: This means one of two things. Either you forgot to install W:ET, or you lost the et.exe file. either way, you need to install W:ET and update with the latest W:ET patch, and then your problems should be finished.

----

Q: I get an "invalid pk3" error, what's up with that?
A: It means that a file in one of your .pk3 files (the files that hold all the stuff for the game) or the .pk3 itself is corrupt. first, try re-installing TC:E, and if that will not fix it, re-install W:ET. If neither of those fixes it, you will need to uninstall both programs, then delete your W:ET directory, and then install them again.

----

Q: When I try to connect to a server, I get stuck in an endless amount of downloads, what should I do?
A: When the files start downloading, hit the console key (~) and you should see a list of files to be downloaded. You can wait it out, or you can close (hit escape, or type "/quit" in the console) and download the files manually.

----

Q: I get a hunkmeg alloc error on obj_snow and/or obj_railhouse.
A: This is a problem with the maps themselves, it can be avoided by changing your shortcut to TC:E. right click your shortcut, select the "Shortcut" tab, and in the first box, you should see something like this
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" + set fs_game tcetest
after the last term, add a space, then type +set com_hunkmegs 256. your path should look like
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" + set fs_game tcetest +set com_hunkmegs 256
you must have at least 512 MB of RAM for this to work. if you are playing with 256, I reccomend you upgrade. If you are playing with 128, you really need an upgrade.

In the case of using XFire to launch and join games, open the XFire options window, go to the games tab and select WET from the list. Copy and paste the string, and only the string starting for +set into the extras. Click apply and you should be on your way.

----

Q: I get a "Could not open OpenGL subsystem" error. wtf is that?
A: You need to update directx and/or your video card drivers. if that doesn't help, your computer isn't meant for W:ET after all.

----

Q: The game says I need to enable punkbuster, but it won't let me do it!
A: If you cannot do it in the server browser (button at the bottom right), press the console button (~) and type "/pb_enable 1". if this does not work, open up regular W:ET, and enable punkbuster in there, first.

----

Q: Why can't I see any servers?
A: There could be a few thing wrong.
First, make sure your internet is working, and that your firewall has ports 27950 to 27970 open, or that ET.exe is allowed to use the web, and ensure that the source filter is set to internet.
If that does not work, try a third-party server browser, like the xfire browser or the all seeing eye.

----

Q: The serverlist crashes when I look at it!
A: Either go to the game directory under the "etmain" subdirectory and delete the "servercache.dat" file, or use a third-party server browser.

----

Q: I get a version mismatch error when I try to connect to a server
A: this means you and the server are running different versions. update to as new as you can get (W:ET 2.60 and TC:E 0.49b as of 04/05/2007), and try again. if you can't connect, the server is outdated. REMEMBER: .49 maps ALWAYS start with obj. if a map is dem_, it is .48 or older.

----

Q: Help! my menu is in Japanese/French/Klingon!
A: 第三者のパック3 ファイルを単に削除しなさい.
Just delete any third party files that may be interfering. it's usually not part of a map.

----

Q: Why did I disconnect all of a sudden?
A: this could be a number of things. the main culprit is usually a PB error. simply update PB and try again. Also make sure your name is long enough. 5 characters is a good baseline (I used to have problems using just "it")
A: If it says why you are kicked, change that. if it gives a Cvar error, it should tell which cvar is the offender. go into the console, then change that cvar to whatever the server wants it to be (usually outlined in the kick)

----

Q: Something says my CD key is empty. but W:ET doesn't use CDs!
A: the CD key is generated when you install your game, and if it's giving you problems, type "/pb_cdkeyreg" in the console. you should be able to go on your merry way.

----

Q: Why am I kicked for cvar rate stuff?
A: You probably have a problem in etconfig.cfg, just download a new one, or re-install W:ET ( you shouldn't lose anything unless you delete it) to fix this.

----

Q: I can't pick up painkillers in bodycount/capture the flag, what's going on!
A: The problem is that you have cg_autoactivate set to 0. go into the console (~) and type "/cg_autoactivate 1". that should solve your problems.

----

Q: Hey, where can I get some maps?
A: There are tons of places with maps for TC:E. Try a Google search.

---------------

If your question isn't answered here, do a quick search, and if you can't find a solution, make a thread. same goes if your problem isn't fixed through the methods here..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]