Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject: Coroner, True Combat 2 Should Be Kickstarted
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:40 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Hey guys long time no see!

Some of you may be familiar with the mod Insurgency built off of the HL2 engine, it was fairly popular (like TCE) and gained a very respective fanbase around it. A few years later the game has been released with the help of Steam greenlight and kickstarter (they didn't even make their kickstarter goal). Since then the game has been a success and promotes very similar gameplay to TC:E but it lacks the "feel" and movement that made TC:E so damn fun. I believe its time, IF coroner wants to keep the True Combat name going, to compile a dev team (or make some phone calls to some old friends). And get something going that promotes the wonderful gameplay, maps, and feeling of playing a True Combat game on a modern engine such as the Crytek engine or even the Source engine, which the new Insurgency was made on (it looks great still).

I know its a huge longshot but if there was a time for this to happen it would be now!

Some guys on reddit brought up True Combat in a Insurgency thread and I thought i'd stop by to see whats up.

Post subject: Re: Coroner, True Combat 2 Should Be Kickstarted
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 am 
Master
Master

TL;DR

TC development needs a team first. You're offering nothing new.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:17 pm 
Master
Master

Engine improvements is something we'd all like to see but let's get practical here.

The reason TC:E is played still, as I see it, is the fact that it is free but also easy to modify. Custom skins, weapons and maps are what keeps it alive.
There are a lot of modders around fluent in iDtech3 but you're probably losing them with switching to a new engine.

I've said it before, iDtech3 is perfect for CQB (small urban) maps. The way you build most of the level using brushes instead of static modular assets forces you to create unique locations.
As you can imagine, this is really important for a TC game.
Neither CryEngine, UE4 or Unity implement this as simple as it should be, meaning mappers would have to learn to model before even thinking of starting a map.
I'm guessing the average mapper would reuse the existing (default?) assets over and over again creating that recycled look some games have.

Then there's the new Insurgency which aims to be a realistic shooter but lacks that "something" TC has. First of all, it is not free which is a downside for a community game. Thinking about it reminds me of the disappointment of buying CoD4 for MW:TC.
Then there's Source's Hammer editor and TC being a mod yet again, this time even with the Steam integration hassle.

Need I remind you that CQB is basically completed, yet locked for custom content?

There are able developers who have been waiting for something to be released for years now so they can lend a hand. Sadly, there is no one to rally them together and any serious work on a game that was not updated in years doesn't seem rational.

Even now, a stand-alone version could be created, minimizing the installation complexity and preparing the game for further updates, community or official.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:26 am 
Master
Master

Haraldzz wrote:
TL;DR

TC development needs a team first. You're offering nothing new.

Damien wrote:
There are able developers who have been waiting for something to be released for years now

Yep there has been and still is a group/team of devs eager to provide updates for cqb/tc - but at the end of the day, It is all down to Coroner how quickly advancements are made, Like most of us Coroner has a real life and i guess he just doesn't have the time to spare on providing an unlocked cqb at the moment. Also i think he is still waiting on someone updating the ET engine with the changes he requested before he is to release cqb fully unlocked.

sidenote:

This is q3:tc running on ioquake:rend2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:47 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Dim$tar wrote:
This is q3:tc running on ioquake:rend2

1.x to clarify since q3:tc is pretty vague.